Pages

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Upside of Struggle

A struggle can take so many forms in life. It can be a physical trauma or challenge, an ethical dilemma, or an emotional upset.  No matter the form it takes, there is always a lesson to learn from it...you just have to be willing to accept it. And you have to take the time to quiet your mind long enough to see it.

I took a vacation day yesterday, with plans to work on my writing and editing. I was really looking forward to the extra day away from the office to invest more time in my passion.  I woke up with a horrible sinus headache, which soon spawned a migraine, which in turn spawned a tension headache. Three headaches at once! Even on my best and most determined days, I can't work through that kind of pain. So I resigned myself to the fact that I had to treat the physical pain first.  I spent almost all day in bed...in pain.

Although I was upset that I didn't get any writing or editing done, the down time gave me an opportunity to reflect on the path my life has taken, and where I want it to go. Looking back now, that was what I really needed.  Sometimes I get so wrapped up in the act of getting things done and moving forward that I forget to stop and look around.

This is my advice: try to remember that it really is important to slow down, even stop, every now and then to make sure you're still on your intended path. If you find that you've taken a detour, figure out where and why, then set a new goal.  Don't wait for an illness to force you to slow down. But if it does, take the time to heal and grow the way you're supposed to.

No comments: