Pages

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Gratitude

I often reflect on the people and things for which I am grateful. Sadly, I don't express my gratitude often enough. This is one attempt to right that egregious wrong.

There have been so many people who have inspired and encouraged me along my journey to achieving my dream of being a published poet and author. I have to start with my mom. It would have been so easy for her to sweep my dreams under the rug and focus on herself, but she never did. And I know now that she never will. Through all the toughest, darkest times in my life, she was there, bringing extra sunshine into my world.

The same holds true for my friends. Although some were only in my life for a short season, they have always introduced me to new experiences and viewpoints along the way. EVERYTHING that happens in life is an opportunity to learn, and everyone brings a distinct lesson.  It took me a long time to realize that, but knowing it now is incredibly liberating. 

My family: we don't get to choose our familial set, but I believe that they are very wisely chosen for us.  Just like everyone else, they all bring their lessons.  Some are there to teach us by example, some are simply there to love.  My family, like most, is a cast of characters rich in experiences and opinions.  I love the colors they add to my mural, and the notes they add to the soundtrack of my life.

Gratitude is a wonderful thing. If you truly take the time to stop and literally count your blessings, I defy you not to smile. I usually smile through tears, so strong is my gratitude.

To everyone in my life - past, present and future - thank you for what you have given to me.

No comments: