Pages

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Reciprocity

Defined as follows: the quality or state of being reciprocal : mutual dependence, action, or influence.

With that in mind, I must say that it saddens me to witness the lack of reciprocity among artists. Authors, in particular.

I spend a great deal of time sharing, promoting, buying, reading and even editing the work of other authors.  While I do my absolute best to retain the Golden Rule as the governing force in my daily actions and attitudes, it is often frustrating to find that rarely do the authors whose work I promote in turn promote or even mention my own.

It's difficult to make a name for yourself...I get it. Of course I do, because I'm trying to do the same thing.  But I firmly believe that there is enough notoriety and success for each of us to have an appropriate portion. I don't view my fellow authors and poets as my competition. They are my inspiration and my family.

So, dear writers, I'm sending out my plea to you all. Do what you can to help one another, and reap the rewards of the goodness you sow in due time.

No comments: